Re: New to Linux

on 17:11 Tue 12 Apr, rishabh animesh (rishabh.animesh@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello People,
>
> I am new to Linux and Debian. Whats the best way to start on things?

There's a two-step process, I recommend:

1: install  Linux.
2: use it.

> Currently I'm a Computer Science student and have experience only with
> algorithms! Comfortable with C/C++ but willing to learn more to help
> me get started with the OS mentioned above!
>
> I need suggestions on projects I can participate in considering I am just a
> noob in this.

So:  what are your goals?

1.  Become proficient as a Linux user (GUI)?
2.  Become proficient as a Linux user (CLI)?
3.  Become proficient as a Linux administrator?
4.  Become proficient as a Linux programmer?
5.  Contribute to Free Software / Debian projects?

In all cases, start by installing and using Linux.

Start at http://www.debian.org/

The installation/getting Debian links are at the top of the page:

    http://www.debian.org/distrib/

I'd suggest the "Download a small installation image" option.  The
64-bti PC netinst iso link is right there:

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/amd64/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso

Take a look at the Installation Manual.  While you don't have to read
the whole damned thing, if you run into problems, it's a very good
guide.  The installer is pretty self-explanatory these days:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

The support pages point you at a bunch of resources from documentation
to support forums, mailing lists, IRC, and more:

    http://www.debian.org/support

Roll through the reading on the main docs page:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/

Most of the first of those (Installation Guide, Debian GNU/Linux FAQ,
Debian Reference, Debian Wiki) are excellent and highly recommended.

If you want to start doing Debian package development, read the "Deiban
New Maintainers Guide" and "Debian Developer's Reference".

Don't forget that Linux includes extensive documentation on the system
itself:  man pages, info pages, package documentation under
/usr/share/doc/<package-name>, HOWTOs, and others.  Once you've got a
desktop installed, you can access much of this locally on your system's
own webserver by installing dwww and swish++:

    aptitude install dwww swish++ dlocate info2www

Then point your browser at http://localhost/dwww

> I have experiences with the Search Technology. I have also created a forum
> to promote programming among my peers where we organize monthly contests on
> this portal. www.code.vrglinug.org

Um.  So, are you asking a question or spamming your website?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power