Achemso package and bibtex for J. Chem. Eng. Data

Hi: I am using Debian unstable (aptosid) with the latest texlive. I am having the following problems.

When I use the texlive version of the achemso package, the command \plainref is not defined. When I use the achemso package got from ACS in my own home directory, ( I guess this is read first ) there is no problem. Does this mean that the ctan packages are not updated?

A more serious difficulty is that the heading for the references comes out as Notes and References instead of Literature Cited, which is the form accepted by J. Chem. and Eng. Data. The same problem arises when I latex the achemso-demo-tex file.

In the documentclass line I have

\documentclass[journal=jceaax, manuscript=article]{achemso}

The support at acs remarked that the cupported version of TEx for paragon plus is version 2.02 or earlier. I presume this is version of latex. Could his be a possible reason? in any case, when I type latex -version, I get pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.10-2.2, so I am unable to get the latex version.

I'd appreciate any hints about correcting the problem.

Thanks.

Sebastian Canagaratna