Re: vbox to thumb drive

On Sunday 10 April 2011 09:19:01 am shawn wilson wrote:
> is there a program / script to convert a vm (virtual box in this case)
> to a bootable install on a thumb drive?
>
> i know i can do it manually. hell, i can probably script it with dd,
> qemu, grub-install, fdisk (figure out how to toggle boot flag from
> command line). however, i don't really want to reinvent the wheel.

I use 'remastersys' to make iso images for some of my vbox installs. It is not
part of Debians repositories but  they support Debian, has a sources.list entry
to use.

I have just discovered 'UNetbootin', :

"UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and
other Linux distributions" . It is in Debians repos.

Maybe put the two together.

A short cut to go from vbox to usb would be nice.

btw, systemrescuecd has a script located in the root of their iso, installs
systemrescuecd to a usb drive in one operation. I am not a coder but maybe it is
generic enough to adopt for other iso's.

--
Peace,

Greg