Re: [help-a-newb] setting grub

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Vi, 08 apr 11, 09:56:43, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > You can set GRUB_DEFAULT to the complete name of an entry, then you
>> > won't have to worry about reordering.
>>
>> Well, I was thinking about that, but the names of the kernels change
>> whenever the kernel is upgraded. This is actually the biggest problem
>> with trying to have one boot manager to rule them all.
>
> This has not been my experience with Debian, can you give an example?

Well, for instance, I had the bfo kernel in /boot in my f13 install,
and then I removed it, but the entry in the bootloader for debain
remained until I did an update-grub from the command line in the
debian install.

Sure, when debian updates its kernel, dpkg (I assume) will know to
re-run update-grub or call the lower level routines directly. But when
I run yum update in Fedora, how does debian know about that?

So, I have to watch the packages yum grabs in fedora, and when it
grabs a new kernel, I have to remember to boot into debian and run
update-grub there before I let fedora boot again, or my attempt to
re-boot fedora with the new kernel will be foiled by debian's grub.