Re: debian testing: upgrade latest few days => nautilus freezes entire desktop when changing directories for a few seconds

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:16:42 +0200, Bjorn Wesen wrote:

> perhaps I shouldn't run testing and not expect problems but anyway I do
> and I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed something like this:
>
> After yesterdays restart of Xorg, the file-manager in gnome (nautilus)
> completely freezes the desktop for a few seconds every time I click to
> change a directory. Clicking on files to open them works fine.

I have no problem with "testing" and gnome.

> When the desktop freezes the output of all other windows freeze as well
> as the mouse-cursor. A "top" running in one terminal shows (after its
> display comes back) a 100% Xorg CPU usage or something similar.
>
> Nothing in any logs and everything else works fine (including
> file-requesters from other programs). This is what is most strange!
>
> In conjunction with the Xorg-restart I had updated the binary nvidia
> drivers from 260.19.21 to 260.19.44, but I downgraded this again and
> that didn't help.
>
> I can go through the painstaking job of checking all testing-packages I
> upgraded the last few days, but thought I'd ask first!

Create a fresh-new user and login from there. If you can still reproduce
the freeze you can also try with "nouveau" driver and check if that makes
any difference.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón