Re: Custom Kernel - 32-bit or 64-bit?

A E [Gmail] put forth on 4/8/2011 10:58 AM:

> #> time nice fakeroot make-kpkg --subarch=sun4u --arch_in_name
> --revision=2.6.32-5-Cust001 --initrd kernel_image

> The question is, if I allowed it to slap on the arch in name automatically
> and it ended up calling it 'sparc', does that mean it's created a 32-bit
> kernel and not 64-bit as I'd have expected it to end with 'sparc64'.

The package naming is irrelevant to the contents of the binary kernel
file you generated.  It is simply a file name.

"--subarch=sun4u" dictates the resulting kernel binaries contain 64bit
UltraSPARC instructions, or "SPARC v9" instructions.

You have created a custom 64bit SPARC Linux kernel.  The naming is
simply to remind you of what's in it when you look at that file a year
from now, especially amongst a group of 6 other similar kernels you've
created.

--
Stan