Re: Aptitude and apt-get curiosity.....

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 23:44:30 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> You just need to remember that, in effect, if you run aptitude
> safe-upgrade you are telling aptitude that it mustn't remove
> anything.  This restriction may mean that it can't upgrade.

Thanks for that information Lisi.

Aptitude does remove some packages on a safe-upgrade. Some are packages
that have been replaced with newer versions some are not and some are
brand new packages. I then get asked if I agree, I do so and it all
comes together.

With these packages that are not upgraded and are just left to linger.
I don't get asked a question if I would like to remove or install
anything. They are just there and do nothing and in the past I have had
these hanging round for weeks waiting to see if anything picks them up.
When they aren't picked up I use apt-get.

From the man page apt-get:

 upgrade
           upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system
           from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list.
 Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved
 and upgraded; under no circumstances  are currently installed packages
 removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed.
 New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing
 the install status of another package will be left at their current
 version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that
 new versions of packages are available.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I thought it would be a straight
forward answer but safe-upgrade, full-upgrade, dist-upgrade and upgrade
and one being the same as the other etc.. is just not working for me. I
shouldn't have inquired. [laughing]

My curiosity is satisfied, in that, I know how to get round it and it
appears to work well. Sorry for the noise. I should just have allowed
it to lie.

Be well,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Nothing puzzles me more than time and space; yet nothing troubles me
less. ............Charles Lamb