Re: Aptitude and apt-get curiosity.....

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 08:35:08AM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> I upgrade my Debian Wheezy system with aptitude and it upgrades all but
> one application file.
>
> Redo: "aptitude update" and it shows that file hangs around for
> several days and doesn't get upgraded when I do aptitude
> "safe-upgrade" after "aptitude update" each time day after day.
>
> So I do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and the file is upgraded.
>
> Why does aptitude just ignore it again and again and apt-get upgrade it?

'apt-get upgrade' is synonymous with 'aptitude full-upgrade'. Had you run
'aptitude why-not <package>' you likely would have received the answer on
why aptitude was refusing to update it. Generally, when I've seen this, it
is because it relies on a dependency version that you don't have, so it
waits until that comes down the pipe.

Either way, not to be a dick and suggest you RTFM, but you really should
RTFM. :)

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o