Re: Downgrading Udev

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 03:37:11PM +0100, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 15:20 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 04:13:36PM +0200, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
> > > Last Udev version have an important error:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=621087
> > >
> > > Where can I find and download the previous 166 version?
> >
> > http://snapshot.debian.org/package/udev/166-1/
> >
> > Note that downgrading base-files (which removes /run) will
> > also do the same job:
> >
> > http://snapshot.debian.org/package/base-files/6.1/
>
> Just downgrading base-files to 6.1 did unfortunately not work for me because
> /run was not removed due to being "not empty" and I had to remove it manually.
>
> Good to see you here Roger. I handled the bug by downgrading udev, libudev,
> libgudev-1.0-0 to 166-1 and base-files to 6.1, but am not sure if that is
> actually the best way to deal with it. I guess that the underlying problem
> (initscripts) has to be solved first and that base-files 6.2 (6.3 / 6.2-1?)
> should have a versioned dependency on the not yet uploaded initscripts
> version. I am therefore unsure if a downgrade of udev is actually a good idea,
> advisable or necessary, but it seems to me as if the init script of udev is
> buggy in that it does not fall back to /dev if /run is not writable.
>
> What would be, in your opinion, to be the best way to deal with it?

For the present, I think what you've done is fine.  The real fault here
is that the init script for udev is buggy, but this wan't triggered
until the base-files update introduced /run.

The solution is for udev to fix that bug, and then when initscripts
is updated to set up /run correctly, udev can then add a versioned
dependency on initscripts and start using /run.

Hopefully this will be fixed quickly.  It's just a matter of the udev
maintainer uploading a fixed package which doesn't use /run, and then
the initscripts maintainer uploading a package which sets up /run.
Once that's done, we can all start using /run (with a versioned
initscripts dependency, to allow squeeze→wheezy upgrades to work).

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh