Re: apt makes it easy to track the new package but hard to dump the old

In <[🔎] 87d3l4tc0o.fsf@jidanni.org>, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>Why do I always have to clean up older versions by hand?
>
>E.g., linux-doc-2.6 pulls in the latest version automatically,
>but if I don't want an ever growing number of older versions accruing, I
>have to remove them by hand.
>
># apt-show-versions -r -p ^linux-doc
>linux-doc-2.6/unstable uptodate 1:2.6.38+33
>linux-doc-2.6.37 2.6.37-2 installed: No available version in archive
>linux-doc-2.6.38/unstable uptodate 2.6.38-2
>
>Sure 'do aptitude purge ~o often.' But that is still by hand.
>
>Why does apt make it easy to add the new version but lacks facilities to
>clean up the old versions? Safety yes. But still not environmentally
>friendly.

You may want to modify your APT settings.  The "apt" package installs the
file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove file that contains this:
APT
{
  NeverAutoRemove
  {
        "^firmware-linux.*";
        "^linux-firmware$";
        "^linux-image.*";
        "^kfreebsd-image.*";
        "^linux-restricted-modules.*";
        "^linux-ubuntu-modules-.*";
  };
// ..elided...
};

If you'd rather see these packges handled "normally" you can either edit this
file (although I recommend against it) or create a new file in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d that alters or augments these settings.