Re: cannot go back from nouveau to nv

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 02:49:39 -0400 (EDT), Fumiaki Okushi wrote:

> I'm running Debian Squeeze amd64.
> I'm trying to go back to using nv after trying to get nouveau working
> and failed.

I see you already found a solution from other posters.  But be glad that
you had an nv driver to go back to.  The nv driver has already been
deleted from sid (except for the avr32 and m68k unofficial ports).
I too had to go back to nv.  My monitor requires an interlaced video
mode, and the last time I checked, the nouveau driver simply wouldn't
work with interlaced modes.  It gives no error messages, but the screen
goes totally black.

If they had demoted the driver from main to non-free, (due to DFSG
violations -- code obfuscation), I could have accepted that.  But with
this monitor, I don't think any other driver will work at 1024x768
resolution.  (The monitor does have a non-interlaced mode for
1024x768 resolution at 60 Hz vertical refresh, but that produces
unacceptable flicker which gives me horrible headaches after
several hours of use.  Non-interlaced modes for this resolution at
higher vertical refresh rates are not possible due to the monitor's
low video bandwidth.  It's an IBM G51 monitor, and it has a 70 MHz maximum
pixel clock rate.)

My video card has a RIVA TNT2 chipset, which is no longer supported by
the proprietary nvidia driver.  (The legacy 71xx driver supports it,
but this driver doesn't work with the release of the X server used by
Squeeze and later releases.)  Without the nv driver, I would have
to drop back to 800x600 resolution to save my eyes.  Plus I would
lose my true hardware-mode text consoles and be stuck with framebuffer
stuff.  With the nv driver, not only can I use the VESA standard
87 Hz vertical refresh interlaced mode (half frame rate), but I designed
my own video mode that runs it at 100 Hz vertical refresh interlaced
(half frame rate), which is the maximum vertical refresh rate supported
by the monitor.  This is even easier on my eyes than 87 Hz interlaced.

I really wish they would bring back the nv driver as non-free.  It has
a "niche market" that cannot be filled by any other driver, as in my
example.  If nouveau is not going to support interlaced modes, then
people who use monitors that require interlaced modes and video chipsets
that support interlaced modes but are not supported by the nvidia
proprietary driver really don't have any good alternative except nv.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :