Re: Meaningful names; was Re (3): dreaded ethernet device renaming

On 04/01/2011 12:18 PM, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
[snip]
Names such as eth0 and eth0.absent still do not solve the problem of identifying
external hot swappable devices.  Plug in three Linksys USB adapters yielding
eth3, eth4 and eth5.  Which eth is which?  Meaningful names work.
For example LinksysLCS218213733 is the one with LCS218213733 marked on it.
The serial numbers are machine readable of course and a udev script to assign
a name containing the brand name and the serial number isn't terribly
difficult.  Editing /etc/udev/rules/70-persistent-net.rules is trivial.

I have *no* idea what the serial number is on the network "card" built onto my mobo. No one does.

corrupt."