Re: boot loader

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:30:39PM -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> not sure of the topicality of this here but...
>
> i've got a computer with ntldr messing up. since i don't have a windows xp
> disk, i have no way of fixing this (besides torrent). so, i was hoping to
> find some sort of quick install that just shoved grup on the system and made
> a minimal partition for /boot (and whatever else is required for grub).
>
> as it is, i can't find anything that does this. so i'm curious of everything
> that grub depends on? just /boot or do i need some config files in /etc and
> do i need any binaries for it? i'm not interested in maintaining grub from
> the system (it would just be maintained from a boot cd if at all). i just
> need it to boot and work. i'm going to use gparted to make a ~10 meg
> partition (i think that's all i should need).
>
> ... unless anyone knows of a system that does all of this for me, then i'll
> just let it ride and not worry about anything?

I've always used super grub disk . I don't think it will make partitions,
maybe subdirectories.  It can probably install grub without new partitions.
But it might also restore a windows boot.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody