Re: OT: crypto, auth, CAs, web-of-trust, and phony certs

On 24 March 2011 11:18, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
Apropos some of the recent discussion we've had here of various Debian
signing keys.

A major CA (certificate authority) has issued fake SSL certs for
Google.com, Yahoo.com, and Skype.com (and apparently 6 other sites)
after its signing keys were compromised.

   http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/phony-web-certificates-issued-google-yahoo-skype-others-032311

Under the CA / SSL model, you trust a website because you trust the CA.

Personally, I think the Dane factor is worth more than a look:

http://tinyurl.com/4z54hzq

Regards

Weaver.
by the wise as false,