Proper name, & more - Re: Android Debian - Lets start Debian for Android hw phones ; gre

Excellent infos, Shawn!!   :)  (You get 2 exclamation points.)

I'm just gonna make a quick reply right here, to both your messages,
cause they are great & deserve a prompt reply, & cause I'm short on time
right now.

1)  Your comment (quoted immediately below), from your second email, is
probably the immediate most important point, because it is the
foundation for the name of this Debian sub distro.

I knew "Android Debian" was the _wrong_ name for this, before I even
started writing my original post.  But, I used that because "Android"
needs to be the first word of that subject line (the first post about
creating this Debian sub project) - that's what people will search for
to find that email.

That's why I immediately followed the lead in  "Android Debian"  with a
short description of what that really implies:  "Debian for Android hw
phones"

Crucially, "Debian _on top of_ Android" is _not_ what I'm (& the Debian
community should be) interested in.

The key concept is "Debian on top of  _the smartphone hw which runs
Android, (& hence the Linux kernel), software_ .

But, exactly as you say, there will be actual sw for the different
processors, which presents a possible processor-based naming scheme.

As I replied to Mirco, & Jon Dowland commented on:

"On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 03:08:48PM -0700, giovanni_re wrote:
> > "Debian distro for Android capable hardware phones"
> >

> > DfAHP - I kinda like that. Has a nice ring to it.
> >
> > DDfAHP?
> > DfACHP?
> > DDfACHP?
Just "Debian": It's the universal OS.  It doesn't need a different name
for
every architecture :-)
"

merely "Debian" is the proper super-name for the DfACHP project.

But, the sub-project does need its own name, so that people have a
useful name to refer to that sub-project of Debian.

I don't know that the correct name should be, but I can think of several
_ways to analyse it_.

a) Because it's best to have one name, we should avoid the main name
being a set of names, based on the processor - a kind of naming scheme
you (implicitly) raised.

b) The "descriptive" naming convention would compell something like
"DfACHP", but that is a rather clunky name.  That name is rather
unpronouncable, which is why I first suggested the acronym name without
the "C", DfAHP.  But, that's still a clunky name.

c) WWSJNI?  [What Would Steve Jobs Name It?] - That would be the catchy,
marketing oriented name.  Also, that might be like what Ubuntu might
name something.

Maybe something like "Debian4Smartphones". "SmartphoneDebian". ?

Shawn, here's your comment I'm referring to, from your second message:

> oh yeah, forgot to mention that you'll probably have to recompile
> libraries.
>
> however, you probably just want to start with a popular processor and go
> from there. i couldn't find much about putting linux on devices with the
> snapdragon processor (which sucks because i want this on older phones i
> can
> get for <$100), but..... nvidia does have this:
> http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/news/linux-tegra-released
> (and this is why i love nvidia stuff)
>
> ... this is why you're not going to get an 'android debian' - you're
> going
> to get a 'nvidia tegra debian', a 'qualcomm snapdragon debian', an 'apple
> a4
> debian', etc.

Great info, Shawn! :)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:55 -0400, "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> wrote:
>
> > Let's start the "Debian distro for Android capable hardware phones".
> >
> > What are the first steps we can easily take, to get started on this?
> >
> > 1) Talk about how to do it on this email list.
> >

> > first, nice research.

Thanks :)

> i'd like a hardware linux kernel on a phone because i
> don't like java and i'd love to get these devices to do cool things
> (these
> are great, cheap little computers that i can almost afford to throw
> around).

Exactly. :)

> so, here's where i'd go:
> boot loader - someone put android on an iphone a while ago. you should go

Shawn - lots of great technical details & suggestions & info in both
your messages  :)   , which I want to reply to, (& hope others will pick
up those ideas & run with them), but can't afford the time right now.

Let's keep this moving forward!  :)

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture