Having trouble with Cron

Maybe someone can help out with this. I have a bash script I run at 1am every morning via an entry in cron.d. It records an echo in a file when done so I can record it running. The trouble I'm having with it is that it's recording that's it has completed about once a minute from the hour starting a 1 am until 2 am!. I'm not sure it's actually running that entire time. I can't imagine that it would run exactly for a perfect hour then stop. If I run the script by hand it only takes a few minutes and records only one entry into my log file.

In /etc/cron.d/backuppublishers I have....

* 1 * * *       root    /bin/backuppublishers

The script is an rsync routine and an echo to my log file.

Thanks,

Ed