From: Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [help-a-newb] adduser okay? (problem with authenticating
with gui users-groups manager)
To: Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net>

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:19:45PM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Nuts. I keep forgetting the list when using google's webmail.

>> > Squeeze, installed from the netinstall CD with the default desktop
>> > collection, in a gnome session.
>> >
>> > I should have got the name of the utility while I had squeeze booted.
>> > I'd be posting this from a squeeze account if I could make a non-admin
>> > account to do it with.
>> >

>> Speaking of which, are the command line user/group management tools
>> (adduser, etc.) going to leave something undone if I use them instead?
>> Or, if I use vipw and hand-copy the bash skeleton, for a user, am I
>> going to regret it later?
>>
> Last time I used it, adduser did not add a user to all the default
> groups that the GUI does.  You'll need to do that manually.

cool

Once I figure out how to get the GUI authentication for that tool to
work again, I'll compare.

Succeeded in using adduser to get a normal enough user to read the web
from, so I can work while I try to figure the bug out. (Not only do I
refrain from getting on the web in root, but I also avoid the web with
sudo-enabled admin users.)