Re: I should not be trying to use tor, but...

On 20110319_083513, AG wrote:
> On 19/03/11 04:50, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >    I am trying to install tor without knowing what
> >I'm doing.  I typed apt-get install tor, and that
> >seemed to work.  Then I downloaded torbutton from
> >the tor website, and it seemed to install.  [was
> >that a mistake?]
> >
> >    When I start iceweasel/firefox and click on
> >the "enable tor" button, I get complaints that
> >"firefox is configured to use a proxy server
> >that is refusing connections."
> >
> >    Perhaps the excerpt from the /var/log/tor/log file below
> >may identify the problem.
> >
> >    Thanks!
> >
> >Mar 18 06:24:37.443 [notice] We now have enough directory information to build circuits.
> >Mar 18 06:24:37.443 [notice] Bootstrapped 80%: Connecting to the Tor network.
> >Mar 18 06:24:38.240 [notice] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop.
> >Mar 18 06:24:38.990 [notice] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit.
> >Mar 18 06:24:40.064 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
> >Mar 18 06:24:40.066 [notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.
> >Mar 18 06:31:53.084 [notice] Received reload signal (hup). Reloading config and resetting internal state.
> >

> Tor is one part of the overall equation - you will also need to
> download the polipo package (it used to be privoxy that did the
> trick, but this has changed to polipo).  The configuration is usually
> straight forward, but once you have that done then I'd suggest that
> you go to the TOR website and read the installation/ configuration
> instructions germane to your machine's architecture/ set-up.
> Basically though, the config will typically be uncommenting (i.e.
> deleting a "#" mark) one or two lines in the configuration file that
> concerns socks forwarding.  I'm going off memory here, hence the
> urging you to read the official documentation on the website.
>
> Good luck.
>
> AG

A note of caution here, from a bystander/lurker. I don't use tor and
googled to find out what it is. Likewise for privoxy and polipo. My
sense of what I found is that privoxy and polipo are two different
packages that both implement the proxy function, but in different ways
with different implications as to security, privacy, anonimity, etc.

I am totally unqualified to judge the importance of this information.

For example,
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/May-2006/msg00372.html

HTH

--