Re: [help-a-newb] adduser okay? (problem with authenticating with gui users-groups manager)

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nuts. I keep forgetting the list when using google's webmail.
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday 19 March 2011 05:50:19 Joel Rees wrote:
>>>  After that, I can't
>>> authenticate with the gui tool.
>>
>> Which version of Debian?  Which DE or WM?
>>
> Squeeze, installed from the netinstall CD with the default desktop
> collection, in a gnome session.
>
> I should have got the name of the utility while I had squeeze booted.
> I'd be posting this from a squeeze account if I could make a non-admin
> account to do it with.

Speaking of which, are the command line user/group management tools
(adduser, etc.) going to leave something undone if I use them instead?
Or, if I use vipw and hand-copy the bash skeleton, for a user, am I
going to regret it later?