Re: Extending and releasing open source software

On 2011-03-15 07:22:50 Nick Douma wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 03/14/2011 06:15 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On 2011-03-14 11:12:35 Nick Douma wrote:
>>> I have a question about developing software and licenses. I have taken a
>>> MIT-licensed library (https://github.com/peej/tonic), and modified and
>>> extended it. The result is a REST library for PowerDNS, which I would
>>> like to release under GPL. However, it is not clear to me how I should
>>> do it.
>>
>> Why not keep the existing MIT license?
>
>Because the GPL license is a better match for the project.

How so?  Using the MIT license makes it easier for you to share changes with
upstream.  It also makes it easier for users to switch between your fork and
upstream.  It also gives your users the same freedoms 0-3 that the GPL does.

I'm a big fan of the GPL, especially version 3, and it's variants.  I just
don't understand your exact motivations for breaking compatibility with the
existing library.  What are you trying to allow / prevent?

>So basically I add two lines for source files that I modified,

Two things: Your copyright attribution, and a reference to the license (GPL).
This may take more or less than two lines.

>and the
>original MIT license after that?

???
Please clarify.