Re: Backup/Restore (WAS:Help needed)

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 07:13:46AM -0500, Blair Mason wrote:

              ..........snip.........

> Your best bet would probably be rsync.  You can use it for pretty much
> anything...  Basically, you use `rsync file dest`.  You also probably want the
> -avz options.  So, the easiest solution is to just do something akin to the
> following:
>
> 1. Mount the backup media (I will assume /mnt/bkup, adjust accordingly)
> 2. run something like this:
> rsync -avz / /mnt/bkup --exclude /mnt/bkup

This would keep the backup on the hard drive. Not a good idea in case of
a disk failure. Better to a USB drive.

> or, if backing up to a server over ssh
> rsync -avz -e ssh / user@hostname:~/backup
>
> A restore is as simple booting live media, mounting all your drives the in the
> same structure (say on /mnt/restore), and then
> rsync -av /mnt/bkup /mnt/restore

Wouldn't that dump the entire system into /mnt/restore?

I'll take this opportunity to reveal my ignorance. Up until now I've
never had to restore an entire system. What would happen if I ran, on a
clean install:

rsync -avz /media/disk/backup /? Would that repopulate the existing
directories or would it install the entire system in /, duplicating the
existing directories?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279