Re: problem building lirc modules

On 2011-03-14, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 05:35:16PM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> I have linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686 installed, which matches my kernel.  I
> tried running 'make oldconfig && make prepare' from
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-686 and got these errors:
>
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile: No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile'.  Stop.
> make[2]: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Normally you would run 'make oldconfig' in the directory in which you
unzipped the kernel source (which is typically in your home directory)
in order to build your own kernel.  But that should not be necessary
when using module-assistant.

> Funny thing is, I successfully build lirc on another similar (but not
> identical) system.  The two systems are my MythTV frontends.  So I'm
> pretty sure I'm not screwing up anything with module-assistant or
> lirc.  I purged all old kernel headers, but it did not seem to help.

That is mysterious. Have you considered copying the generated deb file
from /usr/src on the other system and installing it on the troublesome
one?  You won't get to the bottom of the problem you are reporting but
it would get the job done. Assuming the two systems have the same
architecture, of course.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland