Re: Help needed

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 5:32 AM, BALAJI :) <balaji.pcat@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am using Debian Lenny, kernel version: 2.6.26-1-686.
I am very new to linux.
Can you please let me know the steps for backing up my linux PC (maybe to a CD) and later restoring from it when required.
Also let me know if I can install any Open source S/W that can do the above task (something like scheduled backup).
Thanks in Advance,
BALAJI

tar -cR /home /etc > backup-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar
will give you a tarball of your home and etc directories. i didn't verify the date parameters to assure the date parameters will give what i expect in the file name. to restore, you'd do:
tar -xvf backup-blah.tar /
if you want to write to a cd, look at mkisofs and cdrecord or wodim.
look at cron for scheduling. you might also look at amanda for a full backup solution. but depending on what you're doing that may be overkill. fyi, nothing here is kernel or distribution specific. tar and cron should be installed on *every* unix system for the past 20+ years.