Re: SIP services and softphones: what do you guys use?

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:02:50AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
> important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
> Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
> quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
>
> Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
> than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

I haven't used ekiga in about a year, but I always found their service
to be spotty.  iptel.org was much more reliable, and you can use it with
the Ekiga software.

The only other softphone I've used is Twinkle.  It worked, but I didn't
use it for very long.  I was just testing the encryption.  When I tried
it, I think it was the only Linux softphone that supported encryption.

-Rob