Re: Internet connection sharing?

On 09/03/11 02:29, Joe wrote:
> On 08/03/11 10:32, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

<snipped>

>>> As I wrote before - DHCP!
>>>

>> That is how I handle it, yes. But one must indeed run own DHCP server to
>> get that luxury.
>>
> Windows ICS is primitive and limited to the 192.168.0. network (with XP
> at least, I haven't tried it since), but within those limits it does
> DHCP and DNS for any connected clients. If they're using DHCP, they
> should pick up all the information necessary. The Windows IP LAN address
> will be set to 192.168.0.1 when ICS is enabled.
>
> But of course it can be done the hard way, leaving ICS off and
> configuring the clients manually. That way you get your choice of IP
> addressing.
>
> One possibly important point: all Windows versions since 95 can act as
> routers, but IP forwarding is not enabled by default. If ICS is not
> used, forwarding must be manually enabled. I believe this registry tweak
> should apply to all versions:
>   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236

Other things to watch (from dusty memories):-
With XP, Microsoft ICS needs to actually be installed - "enabling" is
insufficient with XP - I have no experience at using ICS with later
versions of Windoof (YMWV).
*If you are using the free version of ZoneAlarm ICS is not supported*

Note: XP ICS includes a DHCP server.

Cheers