Re: Squeeze + aacraid + Adaptec 2610SA bug?

--- On Mon, 7/3/11, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've recently installed squeeze amd64 on an old
> machine to do some tests
> > and I'm having problems with the aacraid driver and a
> 2610SA controller.
> > It seems the contorller has issues whilst I'm
> formatting a partition on
> > it, then shuts down completely. I've pasted relevent
> dmesg and syslog
> > bits below.
> >
> > This controller has been used in the past with no
> issues, that's not to
> > say it's not a hardware error, just that I don't think
> so.
> >
> > I was thinking of trying an alternative driver,
> perhaps the ones form
> > the adaptec site. Are there any other options?
>
> (...)
>
> > syslog:
>
> > Mar  4 15:27:28 debian kernel: [ 5098.804203]
> aacraid: Host adapter reset request. SCSI hang ?
> > Mar  4 15:27:29 debian kernel: [ 5099.020030]
> AAC: Host adapter BLINK LED 0xc9
> > Mar  4 15:27:30 debian kernel: [ 5100.016028]
> AAC0: adapter kernel panic'd c9.
>
> Seems to go completely offline :-?

Yeah entirely offline.

> Does the card start beeping indicating a broken raid
> (rebuild) or the
> array status is ok?

Nothing reported by the card, all the VDs are in the optimal state.

> Have you checked for any BIOS update (for your motherboard
> and also for
> the controller itself?)

The controller is on the latest bios, and the motherboard is on the latest I can find.

> Another thing you could try is to perfom the formatting
> from a LiveCD
> (i.e., SystemRescueCD, GParted...) to discard a problem
> with the
>  kernel version used in Squeeze.

Ah I may have a bash at that then just to see if I can format it.

I've another controller in the machine, an LSI SAS controller that's working fine.  I'll double check the firmware and have a test with a live cd too.

I definately had this machine up and running with lenny not too long ago, so I'm still leaning towards a driver issue.