Re: Problem with Squeeze upgrade

On Sun,  6 Mar 2011 21:34:58 +0000 (UTC)

> unmount it.  Or vice versa.  I recommend that you shutdown and
> reboot, DO NOT LOGIN TO GNOME, switch to a text console via
> Ctrl+Alt+F1, login on the text console as root, and with luck,
> that pesky udisks daemon will not be running.  Then try your
> upgrade.

Hi Stephen,

That would have been a good thing to try.  I did manage to almost fix
everything by doing the rest of the dist-upgrade online, rather than by
the discs.  So, things are working close to normal now.

One issue I still have is with updates.  Given that I have dial-up, I
prefer to rely on the Debian discs rather than the online repositories;
so, my sources.list is made up of mostly the discs, with
security, nonfree and multimedia repositories.  However, now whenever I
run "apt-get update", the machine demands to rescan all eight dvds:

Media change: please insert the disc
labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-8
20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

It never used to do this with Lenny.  It's just annoying to have to
pull out all eight dvds once again each time I wish to update the
system (it's not as if the dvds will be any different at a later time,
so I'm not sure what the rationale is for the rescans).

Does anyone know how to fix this?