Re: Xen questions

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on a crash course with Xen .... got some quick questions.
Which course :)
> Hardware is Dual 3GHz EM64T CPUs on an IBM x346 machine.
>
> Using Squeeze amd64 installation with lvm2, all good so far.  Using 6 disks
> with the ServeRAID-7k presenting 6 logical -- I've RAID6-ed 3 partitions,
> the first for /boot, the second for swap and the third for lvm2.
I have seen in sid binary which can be installed via apt-get
http://packages.debian.org/sid/xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64
if you have time upgrade and use this I pointed.

> Don't have HVM, so using para-virtualization.
>

> I found that I couldn't start the Dom0 machine too quickly, so I changed the
> grub timeout from 5 seconds to 10 seconds -- if I start it too quickly, then
> it bombs out [panic] and does a reboot.  After waiting the full 10 seconds,
> all is fine.  Is there a setting that would help with this so that the Dom0
> can be started immediately?
This question would be handled better at Xen mailing list.

> Other grub adjustments were made, Xen kernel first and no OS probing.
>

> Using xen-tools to create DomU machines (one squeeze using debbootstrap only
> so far).
>

> Adjusted these two entries in /etc/default/xendomains
>
> # By default, when Xen dom0 shuts down or reboots, it tries to save the
> # state of the domUs.  Sometimes there are problems with that and
> # because it is also clean to just have the VMs shutdown upon host
> # shutdown
>
> XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=false
> XENDOMAINS_SAVE=""
>

> When you reboot the Dom0 machine without first shutting down the DomUs, does
> it do a normal shutdown of each DomU cleanly?  It looks like it does a very
> fast halt, so I'm not sure the shutdown would be as clean as I would like.
You are right I feel (I might be wrong)

> My first DomU machine is 1 hour slower than my Dom0 machine, how should I
> properly synchronize the times?

Some one should help here.
--
Regards