gnome-volume-control-applet fails

Hi,

Of the two of the boxes that I have, both of them have problems with
gnome-volume-control-applet.

The first box, after I login from gdm, I get

 The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet".

If I remove all my gnome/gdk2 configure directories/files, the gnome
starts OK, but the problem comes again on next login.

The second box, at least I can see an icon button (without any icon buy
with tooltop) that is gnome-volume-control-applet, the problem is that
when I click on it, which suppose to launch the applet, but actually only
toggle the mute and unmute.

I don't know how to start gnome-volume-control-applet from the command
line though, so I don't know if I can start it later in the boot, and I
can't see anything obviously connected in .xsession-errors.

Anybody also experiencing gnome-volume-control-applet in debian squeeze?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/