Re: Debian 6 64-bit and Openbox: Opinions, Suggestions, Pitfalls.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
Having tired of Fedora's short support life (13 months)--I've been using it since FC3, but have only been upgrading every 3rd release since 6--and wanting a distro where longevity and stability are paramount, and SELinux is an option, not the default, I've settled on Debian 6.  However, my custom-built system is mostly 5 year old hardware, and I want to get away from today's CPU-cycle eating, eye-candy, desktop environments, the features of which are mostly wasted on me, and go with the efficiency of a pure window manager set up.  That is, no GNOME, KDE, etc. installed at all.  I've chosen Openbox as the window manager as it seems to offer an efficient balance between features and RAM usage.

first, debian comes with apparmor by default iirc. i haven't looked much into the default config of apparmor, but it doesn't seem to get in the way because it doesn't seem to be configured to do much.

second, you could always go with chrome os. i don't think you get much slimmer (fwvm maybe) :)

last, use zsh, screen, vi, and links and you'll be all set. hardly any wasted cpu cycles :)
(i could use a smaller shell, jobs/fg instead of screen, something lesser than vim, and lynx - but, i want to enjoy life)