Re: Debian vs. other firewall/server operating systems

Dne, 28. 02. 2011 08:00:14 je Jason Hsu napisal(a):

Given all this, what are the reasons for using the other server operating systems? WHY WHY WHY are there Windows servers out there? I know that Windows has only a small percentage of the server market, but given its inferior stability and security, why is it used at all?

Because, without realizing it, people are usually their own worst enemy. Short-sightedness rules. We're human, after all. Everybody is, or has been, short-sighted in some particular realm of life. Really smart people have never been the majority, and they probably never will be. There is, however, one point of solace in that: luckily for us, they mostly inflict damage on themselves, the poor sods. In the end, it just comes back to bite *them* much more than us, and, as a result, it makes them think. Sometimes, it even makes them amend their ways. Which is not bad.

Why do people use Ubuntu on the server given that Debian is more stable? Why do people use RedHat given that it has proprietary features in it? (While it's not Windows, it sounds like a step in the wrong direction.) I've heard that CentOS is MUCH more difficult to upgrade than Debian, so why do people use CentOS on the server?

GNU/Linux is about freedom. Which includes freedom of choice. I suppose not all system administrators have the exact same goals in mind when setting up their servers. Perhaps that's the reason?

In addition, each of the distros you mention have their own niche ecosystems. Specifically, RedHat is probably the greatest GNU/Linux success story in the corporate market, in that it proves that a free software company can prosper in a capitalist market. It proves that GNU/Linux is not just some "commie fad" for leftist weirdos. Proving that is no minor thing.

As to Ubuntu specifically, many Debian developers are tightly intertwined with the Ubuntu crowd. Don't you think it was time we started looking at Ubuntu with a more sympathetic, condescending eye? In my view, Debian should take pride in Ubuntu and in everything Ubuntu has achieved. It is, after all, one of many Debian's children. Agreed, a slightly obese and retarded one, but a child nonetheless. And can a mother not love her child -- even if it's an "enfant terrible" gone slightly astray?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.