Runaway process detection.

I've run into a bit of a problem that I'd like to tackle:

I'm running lenny in an appserver setup with ltsp.  Everything works dandy,
and until I have tested the upgrade path to squeeze (possible x.org issues)
I'd like to tackle an annoying problem I keep running into.

Because of a bug in gtk, iceweasel and others (google helped me
find the bug reports) nautilus for some users pegs at 100% cpu use
because .xsession-errors fills up at incredible rates, which in turn
basically hangs the machine (nautilus ends up using over 40 gigs of
memory).

I can't kill the parent as it'll bring everyone's desktop down and...
that's even worse.

So I'd like to detect the one _child_ process that is causing this,
and killing it.  Problem with this is that monit/mon/ps-watcher all
seem to hinge on the parent, and I can't simply detect the one child
that's hogging so much IO and killing it.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can approach this and
stop the phone calls of insanity with silly comments added such as "windows
wouldn't do this" crap, which being a zealot utterly insults me :).