Re: How do you remotely access a home server/network?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:56:10 -0600
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com> wrote:

> I've learned how to turn an old computer into a firewall and DHCP
> server for my tiny home network.
>
> I understand that I can install an SSH server on this machine so that
> I can access it from outside.  Once I have this SSH server connected
> to the Internet, how do I access it from another location?  I have
> DSL broadband service, but I don't think I have a static IP address.

Best bet is to set yourself up with a free account at
http://www.dyndns.com/ then install and configure ddclient. That
will report your IP so you only need to remember what you've
setup on dyndns. Lets say you pick jason.homelinux.net... Next you
would most likely want to move the port openssh server is listening on
from 22 to something else. we'll say 32123.. Next you would run..

	ssh -p 32123 username@jason.homelinux.net

That should do it.

The reason to move away from 22 is to give yourself an added buffer of
security for port sweeps by the script kiddies. Of course there are
other dns services and other programs like ddclient. However, it's what
I've used over the last couple of years and works fine for me.