Re: How do you remotely access a home server/network?

On 02/26/2011 03:56 PM, Jason Hsu wrote:
> I've learned how to turn an old computer into a firewall and DHCP server for my tiny home network.
>
> I understand that I can install an SSH server on this machine so that I can access it from outside.  Once I have this SSH server connected to the Internet, how do I access it from another location?  I have DSL broadband service, but I don't think I have a static IP address.

Open up port 22 in your firewall, and find out what your IP address is.
If you don't have a static IP, you can check out many of the dynamic DNS
services available, such as dyndns.org.

You could also install OpenVPN, and get full unfettered access to your
internal home network. Of course, you would have to punch open port 1194
to get access.

Either way, you're exposing your internal network to the Internet if you
don't have good security procedures in place. Have a strong password (I
recommend http://passwordcard.org), chroot jail your daemon, use remote
logging, and take advantage of strict firewalls. In other words, lock it
down.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o