Re: Regular DHCP network drop

on 21:18 Thu 24 Feb, Camaleón (noelamac@gmail.com) wrote:

> >> (...)
> >>
> >> All seems to be right, I mean, your eth0 adapter is getting all the
> >> data from dhcp server (ip, netmask, gateway, dns...) so the weird part
> >> is that it cannot "ping/reach" the gateway.
> >>
> >> Can you explain how is your network configured (firewalls or proxies
> >> between clients and the gateway...)? Is the gateway another computer or
> >> a modem/router facility?
> >
> > We're a Cat-5 / Cat-6 switched office LAN.  My connections are all
> > wired.
> >
> > Gateway is a Cisco ASA.
>
> Okay, so the ASA is the "172.16.0.1" and the unreachable one, right?
>
> When the connection is "dropped", have you tried to ping another computer
> in the network, in addition to the gateway? Can you reach it and is just
> the gateway that fails or you can't ping to the other computers?

I haven't, will give that a shot the next time this happens.

The DHCP server would be a good candidate (172.16.0.2).

I do get the "destination host unreachable" message, which generally to
me means that my network link isn't active/alive.

And just to confirm my own sanity (or a small piece of it), I *can* ping
the gateway when things are behaving nicely.

I'm tempted to suspect a switching issue of some sort, but have no solid
grounds for doing so.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power