Problems installing VLC

Hi there

I am having troubles installing VLC on testing/ wheezy.

The error messages are:

vlc:
 Depends: vlc-nox but it is not going to be installed
 Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify but it is not going to be installed
 Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse but it is not going to be installed

How do I overcome these dependency issues. I have selected vlc-nox, but the system wants to remove a range of apps that don't seem to have any logical connection, including Amarok, GNOME, Xine-UI, and a number of libraries and Entagged, etc.

I appreciate that testing is, by definition, volatile, but this just seems a bit of a quandry that I have no idea about how to resolve.

Can anyone help me out with some suggestions please.

Thanks

AG