Re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

If this is a trusted LAN, then no need for the encryption overhead.

On 02/24/2011 06:44 AM, Steven Ayre wrote:
You can use dd via ssh if you wish. I think the command would be:
dd if=/dev/sda1 | ssh user@host "dd of=/path/to/sda1.img"

You might also want to enable SSH compression, or pipe it via gzip+gunzip.

Which is better (dd+ssh/scp) depends on your setup. dd copies the
entire disk bit for bit, even unused space. On the plus side you get
all data, permissions, layout. On the downside you're copying far more
than you need to.

Personally, I'd use scp unless I need an exact copy of the disk.

-Steve