Re: Can't Create SymLinks on CF Card

On Feb 22, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2011-02-22 21:14 +0100, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>
>> I found this when using tar to unpack an OS image archive.  I've been
>> doing this for a while on another CF card and had no problem.  But
>> now, when I untar the archive, I keep getting "cannot create symlink"
>> and "operation not permitted."
>
> Looks like the card is formatted with an unsuitable filesystem
> (e.g. FAT32).
>
>> Does anyone have any idea why I can create and save files on this CF card and cannot make symlinks on it?
>
> Most probably because the filesystem on the card does not support
> symlinks.

You're right on target with that.

This is part of a program to install Squeeze on an embedded system and a Compact Flash card wasn't working, so I made a quick trip out to buy a few more.  In that time I forgot I had commented out the command in the code to partition the CF card and format the partition.  The report I got from sfdisk had the same numbers for the partition size as what I was specifying, so I saw the numbers and assumed it was okay -- without realizing it specified the FS was FAT.

So it was my fault -- I forgot my program was not formatting and read the numbers and not the additional data.

It's behaving nicely now.

Thanks for picking up on something that was so obvious I missed it!

Hal