Re: Is there anything wrong with sticking with Lenny?

In <[🔎] 20110222193519.538b384f.jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>, Jason Hsu wrote:
>Is there anything wrong with sticking with Debian Lenny?

Yes and no.  The longer you wait after the Squeeze release the less of the
community will have Lenny and be able to easily answer your questions.

>Does Debian shut
>down support for old versions like Ubuntu does?

Eventually, yes.  Right now is has approximately the same support it has as
stable.  Lenny will receive security bug fixes and a few high priority bug
fixes until support completely ends.  That support ends either at the time
Wheezy is released or 2012-02-06 (1 year after the Squeeze release) whichever
comes first.

There's still plenty of time to work on the transition, but you should be
working toward that goal.

Even after support ends, archive.d.o will contain the last state of the Lenny
repositories.  snapshot.d.o also keeps dated versions of basically everything
that appears on ftp.us.d.o.

>As I mentioned before,
>Debian Squeeze does not work on my old computer (1.0 GHz processor, 256 MB
>of RAM) even though Debian Lenny and antiX Linux M8.5 (based on Debian
>Squeeze) have no problems working on the same computer.  It's a shame given
>that old computers normally work well as servers and firewalls.

I have Squeeze running fine on a VPS with less-capable specifications.  So,
it should work.  You may have to choose a desktop environment that is less
featureful or otherwise target a low-memory systems, (e.g. KDE 4 is unlikely
to perform well with less of a Gig of memory) but there shouldn't be any lack
of hardware support.

It is rather rare for Free Software to remove working code, but it can happen
if no one will update the code for new dependencies.  (E.g. dropping Gtk-1.x
libraries did and dropping KDE-3 libraries may entail dropping programs that
no one will pay enough attention to in order to use newer libraries.)

I'm certainly "survived" for days or weeks without X11 even installed.  Mutt,
W3M, screen, and a plethora of curses or plain text applications are actually
quite capable and generally use *far* fewer system resources.

>Learning to set up a firewall and server AND learning to properly upgrade
>Debian is too much for me to undertake at once.  So what I'm going to do is
>set up my old computer as a firewall and server in Debian Lenny.  I'll set
>up Lenny in VirtualBox on my newer computer (which is 5 years newer and has
>much higher specs) and upgrade Lenny to Squeeze.  Once I've mastered both
>of these tasks (firewall/server on the old computer and Lenny to Squeeze
>upgrade in VirtualBox), I'll upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze on the old
>computer.

Well, it sounds like you have a migration plan, so I wouldn't worry too much
about keeping Lenny around for a bit longer.