Re: squeeze installation: monitor problem?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:46:59 -0600, Charlie wrote:

> I have an i386 machine that ran etch and was upgraded to lenny.  After a
> squeeze upgrade did not work, I decided to install from scratch, using a
> CD with netinst.
>
>    The intallation seemed to go all right until
> the reboot.  At that time, my monitor went completely dark after
> displaying a "video out of range" message.  A different monitor did not
> work either.

Can you still jump to tty1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and login from there? That way
you you may also read the "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to get any clue.

If that's not possible, you can try to boot with a LiveCD and watch the
error from there.

Anyway, what is your VGA card, display type (LCD or CRT) and input
connection (VGA -analog- or DVI -digital-)?

>    Perhaps a clue to the problem is a message displayed
> at the very beginning of the install:
>
> 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC.

Hum... not sure if that message can be related to the "out-of-range"
problem :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón