Re: Unable to mount [device] Not Authorized

On 16/02/11 08:37, Chris wrote:
Hi everyone,

Since I do a normal update, I can't mount my flash drive from
nautilus. It works before.
The error message is:

Unable to mount [device]
Not Authorized

But if I manually mount using "sudo mount ...", it works fine.

I found this post,
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/02/msg01022.html, but I can't
And I still don't understand the problem.
I'm using debian testing.
Could anyone provide any advice? Thanks.

I had a similar problem with my Seagate 500GB external flash drive after a fresh installation to testing/ wheezy. The trick seemed to be to create a specific directory in /media/ for it to be mounted to:

    sudo mkdir /media/flash-drive

Then edit your fstab file so that the device is specifically mounted to that directory/ mount point.

I also changed the settings for that entry to be "auto" rather than "noauto".

Finally, make sure that you have entered yourself as user into the relevant groups - such as udev and hal and that you have permissions to mount removable drives.

I'm sorry that I don't have a clear recipe for this, but am retracing my own steps to resolve the issue and it did work - I now have the flash drive mounted by the time I logon.

I hope that this helps you out.

AG