Re: Keyboard Mapping Strangeness

On 17/02/11 13:56, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:55:19 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

Recently (since Squeeze release and my decision to change back to
unstable) my gnome desktop keyboard default as moved from Gbr to USA (as
witnessed by the little icon to the left of time on my top panel).  If I
go edit keyboard settings and ensure that United Kingdom is the default
layout, and also remove the USA settings it holds OK until my next
reboot (the Icon disappears when there is only one setting to choose
from).

(...)

It seems GNOME keyboard settings are stored in another place other than "/
etc/default/keyboard" (adding an additional layout using GNOME keyboard
menu does not alter the content of "/etc/default/keyboard" at all :-?).

What does GDM greeter say about keyboard settings when the user logins?

I missed this response when you made it, sorry.

I am not sure what you mean by what does GDM greeter say, AFAIK it didn't say anything. The interesting thing is, I have switched over to kdm as my greeter (after briefly trying KDE - because I couldn't see how GDM (gdm3) switched session types) and although I now still have the two keyboard layouts (USA and GBr) Gbr is the default when I restart. It seems related.

I think I might re-instate gdm and see what happens then.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk