Re: nouveau: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:34:23 -0500 (EST), Rob Owens wrote:

> On my Squeeze system, the nouveau driver isn't working.  dmesg shows
>
> GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon
>
> lspci shows my video card as this:
>
> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
>
> I do have an onboard video port that I'm not using.  Not sure if that's
> messing things up or not.  Any advice?  I see several hits on Google,
> but I haven't found a solution yet.
>
> I'm trying to make nouveau work.  The proprietary nvidia driver will be
> my last resort.

The nouveau driver is a work in progress, as even it's developers will
no doubt freely admit.  This is especially true for the newest chipsets.
I wouldn't put it past Nvidia to deliberately try to develop new chipsets
which don't work with the nouveau driver to keep us dependent on them
for drivers.  (I'm not accusing them of doing so.  I'm just saying that
it wouldn't surprise me if they did.)

Do file a bug report against package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

If you want to use a free driver, and nouveau won't work for you, your
next best option is the nv driver.  But nv won't work for the newest
chipsets.  And if that won't work, then try the vesa driver.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :