Re: apt-get upgrade error- SOLVED

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:29:39 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

>> Try running "dpkg --clear-avail".
>>

> that did it!! no more error!!!

Good :-)

> the only other question I have is, why are all these packages being held
> back??
> # apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:

(...)

There are many :-O

> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 281 not upgraded.

I can aventure why a package is "kept back" (it may have unmet
dependencies that cannot be managed by just "apt-get upgrade" and needs
"apt-get dist-upgrade) but being hundreds of packages in your case I
would not try that, it can be dangerous.

Wait until someone in the know can give you an accurate-and-safe
advice :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón