Re: Console resolution

On 2011-02-18 20:22 +0100, Dom wrote:

> On 18/02/11 18:24, Camaleón wrote:
>> To make this a bit more clear, nvidia card owners can run either:
>>
>> a) KMS+nouveau
>> b) nvidia propietary driver
>> c) vesa/fb
>> d) nv (obsolete but still available, AFAICT)
>>

> d) is the only option that worked for one of my machines. It used to
> run the nvidia driver, but stopped working when I upgraded it to
> squeeze and it tried to use the nouveau driver.
>
> Removing all traces of the nvidia driver and just using nouveau caused
> problems (I can't remember what they were now), but when I changed to
> the nv driver it was fine.
>
> I'll be upgrading that box to Wheezy soon and see if I can get it to
> work properly with nouveau then.

To make it clear, upgrading to Wheezy will be uninteresting for quite
some time, because it will have the same nouveau version as Squeeze for
the next few months.  If you want to test a newer version, you need to
upgrade the X stack as well as the kernel to the sid versions.

> Oddly, another similar box works fine with either the nvidia driver or
> nouveau.

What matters are the graphics card and the monitor (the latter usually
only if it's broken, e.g. reporting no or wrong EDID).

Sven