Re: Console resolution

El 2011-02-18 a las 10:33 -0500, Chris Brennan escribió:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > By installing nvidia driver, "nuvó" should not be loaded.
> >

> the non-free nvidia driver script/installer dies, complaining that nouveau
> is present and needs to be removed first, this is what I need to know how to
> do. I've tried my usual linux methods with no success (and no real
> point reiterating them here). Suffice it to say, I *NEED* to know the
> debian/debian-correct way of doing this as my methods have proven
> unsuccessful.

Nvidia's own installer (the one you get when downloading the driver
from nvidia site) needs some things to be before installing it:

One is you drop your X session and the other is that you have to
disable nuvó, yes (additional -and well explained- information can be
found here):

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.36/README/installdriver.html

But you can also install the Nvidia driver by using Debian's own
packages which should automatically disable nuvó+KMS.

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

> > Also, by disabling KMS (nouveau.modeset=0) "nuvó" should not load.
> >

> KMS? What is this? where is nouveau.modeset=0 set? In what file?

KMS stands for Kernel Mode Setting, a new way for the kernel to manage
the graphics of the system... well, sort of :-P

http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting

In brief, newer kernels enable by default the kernel mode setting so if
you need to disable it, you can append the aforementioned line to
Grub's menu at boot time.

> P.S. Please keep in mind, I am trying to learn the debian-way of doing
> things so please be explicit when offering hints.

Reading the wiki helps a lot ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón