Re: cannot aptitude -t experimental install perl

On 2011-02-18 01:57 +0100, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Gentlemen, I find no way to install the experimental version of perl.

The only reasonable way to do this is to set up a dedicated chroot for
it where you can spare the packages that you would normally use.

> # aptitude -t experimental install ~i~nperl
>   perl  perl-base  perl-doc  perl-modules
> 4 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 89 not upgraded.
>   libcrypt-ssleay-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.10.0 which is a virtual package.
>   libparams-validate-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.10.1 which is a virtual package.
>   liblocale-gettext-perl: PreDepends: perlapi-5.10.0 which is a virtual package.
>   libperl5.10: Depends: perl-base (= 5.10.1-17) but 5.12.3-1 is to be installed.
>   libunicode-string-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.10.0 which is a virtual package.
> etc.
>
> It gets tangled up with too many paths perl-base -> perlapi-* etc.

Yes, there are hundreds of packages which depend on perlapi-5.10* and
which become uninstallable when you replace perl 5.10 with perl 5.12.  A
possible way out of this would be some Ubuntu-style PPA with packages
rebuilt against perl 5.12, but currently Debian lacks such
infrastructure, unfortunately.

Sven