Remmina can't connect to a "dormant" VNC account

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

This post is about two stock Squeeze installs and establishing a remote desktop VNC connection between them. I'm using the stock Remmina client for connecting from a Squeeze laptop to a Squeeze desktop. However, I wanted to have a remote connection while letting any local user remain logged on locally on the server. As it is, I can only connect remotely when no user is at the remote machine, i.e. I can only connect to the foreground account on the remote machine. Otherwise, all I get on the client is a black screen. The tab in Remmina says I'm logged onto guest@remoteserver, but the Remmina window just stays black. Is this the intended mode of operation? Or, in other words: can I connect to a "background" remote session, leaving the foreground session/user unaffected? I don't want to have to kick local users off just in order to be able to connect remotely. What must I do to achieve that? It was my understanding that, with VNC, you could even have *several* users connected remotely at the same time? I can't seem to even have *one*...

P.S. Yes, I *have* logged out and in again. Still no dice.

TIA
--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.