Re: Cleaning DHCP and Host Info for New LAN

On 02/18/2011 02:23 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Feb 17, 2011, at 6:40 AM, Bob wrote:
On 02/17/2011 12:24 PM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:22 PM, Bob wrote:
On 02/17/2011 06:38 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:

8< snip system image pushed onto a CF card, sounds like a firewall, VPN or asterisk box but once configured fairly static, also a discussion on the advantages of keeping your system image minimal & a post install script maximal vs a mainly configured sys image along with my boasting about the number & awesomeness of my sys images. In fact snip everything before my inappropriate thread jack on the subject of ALSA

Hardware isn't a real issue, other than MAC addresses, since I'm using a system where the board hasn't changed in a while and likely won't change for a good while, at least  it likely won't change as long as I'm involved with this.  So one system should look just like the rest hardware wise.

That helps a lot, the 10 minutes quoted above doesn't take into account bullying ALSA to play nice and use the USB webcam mic by default etc..

Don't get me started on ALSA.  That's one reason my desktop isn't Linux.  (But I did use a Linux desktop for close to 10 years -- had to change for several reasons, including a need to be able to do video editing without spending hours fiddling with importing camcorder file formats.  Also, sound was ALWAYS an issue, in ALSA and otherwise.)

I haven't tried Video editing on Linux yet but it's on the todo list, however I've had a bit of a breakthrough with ALSA recently, I always used to disable on-board sound & use cheap Creative Labs SB Live value cards or similar (which can be had second hand for a pittance) because they have a hardware mixer and thus enabled trouble free playing from multiple sound sources without having to muck about with all those tedious sound servers, esd, Pulse, Jack & there's a gnome one, I can't be bothered.

However Alsa in Squeeze is *much* better I have a /etc/asound.conf file that looks like this & it seems to work for everything.

 pcm.!default {
         type asym
         playback.pcm {
                 type plug
                 slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
         }
         capture.pcm {
                 type plug
                 slave.pcm "usbmic"
         }
 }

pcm.usbmic
{
    type hw
    card U0x46d0x8ce
}
ctl.usb {
  type hw
  card U0x46d0x8ce
}

I can't have Simultaneous AC3/DTS passthrough & nicely downmixed stereo analog output like that provided by mplayers hrtf audio filter which I've wanted for a while
but I'm slowly chipping away at it.

I'll be posting to ask about video editing soon I'm sure.

more power to your coding fingers.