Re: Two email accounts

On 16/02/11 23:18, Gary Roach wrote:
I am trying to consolidate most of my applications onto a new machine. I
have two separate email accounts, one for technical stuff and one for
general email. I wish to have these two accounts on the same machine but
completely separated. I'm running squeeze on an i5-750 system with kde
desktop and icedove. What is the best way to do this.

Gary R.

I do this, or rather I think I do - you give little details of precisely what you mean. I have a personal email domain and a business one, that are different. The dns records for these domains both point at my home server running exim. So mail for both domains arrive at my home server where some simple exim rules detects which domain it is, and stores personal mail in my personal user account (alan) and stores my business mail in a separate user account which I call hartley (for hartley-consultants.com). My wife also has an account for her e-mail

The core of this has two elements

1) /etc/aliases

alan.chandler:alan@hartley-consultants.com

this causes any address that starts alan.chandler@... to be given a valid local part (alan) (so it can be validated) - I have similar aliases for addresses like sales@hartley-consultants.com

and

2) This router, which matches the domain names related to my business and delivers them to hartley_transport (I won't replicate that here, it is just a simple transport that delivers to the Maildir in the hartley account)

#
# this router matches mail to hartley-consultants.* and redirects to deliver to local user hartley
#
hartley:
  debug_print = "R: local_user for $local_part@hartley-consultants.*"
  driver = accept
domains = hartley-consultants.co.uk : hartley-consultants.com : hartley-web.co.uk : hartley-web.com
  check_local_user
  local_parts = ! +not_valid_local
  transport = hartley_delivery
  cannot_route_message = Unknown hartley-consultants user

On the server I run courier imap (and imaps) to provide imap services for all the user accounts. This means I have both alan and hartley (and others for my wife etc) providing imap services that can be accessed remotely.

On my desktop I run icedove and it access the both alan and hartley accounts by having them defined as separate "accounts". icedove integrates them slightly - it stores all the inboxes and sent mail boxes together in the folder hierarchy, but separates out the subfolders into separate accounts.

I can also access the hartley account from my iphone (using the imaps service)

I also have other e-mail accounts one at my isp and another a googlemail account. I user fetchmail on my server to fetch them and inject the messages received from them into the incoming mail stream.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk